Qualified and skilled sport coaches provide leadership to the individuals and teams. However, the sport coaches often have various responsibilities beyond that make them line-up or manage the games. This is true, especially at a higher level of sport or at least at the high school level. Often these sports coaches have to manage the travel plans, deal with the media, maintain fields, parents and the leagues. Make sure, these are just to name a few of their extra responsibilities. The main point is that most of their time can be consumed in other activities beyond coaching.
Just like a coach, a team captain has more importance in a club. A skilled team captain will most probably provide you the leadership that can help in making a big impact for the team. Having a team captain in a club means, he or she should recognize the importance of leadership. Additionally, he can motivate other team players in the ways that the coaches may not be able to do. Often the positive influence has been more valuable to the youth athletes from the side of captain than a coach, even a well respected coach.
With this in mind, following qualities are needed for being a team captain. Having these qualities means, a team captain can provide leadership in the sports.
- Respect for all players and coaches
- Lead by an example in the field
- Display a passion for the sport
- Must not be afraid to speak up with the players
- Know the team rules
- Must be willing to confront his/her players, who they fail to hustle, fail to follow the rules or have a disruptive attitude
- Show respect to all the players, including non-starters
- Should be a solid player and handle the pressure on and off the field
- Know how to take the issues of players towards the coaching staff or management
- Keep a keen eye on the high, low and never get too angry, when things don’t go in his/her own way
The leadership importance in sports can be provided by a fellow player in the team. This can be invaluable for the team success, only if the competent person is chosen to be their team captain. That’s why it is important for the coaches to put a sufficient amount of thought into which player would be a good team captain. Not all players can be team captains. Make sure, picking the wrong player for the team captain eventually lead to a very unsettling issue down the line for a team.